I'm in love with books and nothing would make me happier than having a book lamp by my side while I read, so i found this really cool idea at http://www.hgtv.com. So here are the instructions:
What you'll need:
- old hardcover books, about 8
- lamp kit
- lamp shade
- spray paint
- 1/2" drill bit
- razor blade or box cutter
- 1-1/4" screws
- 2" screws
How to do it:
1. Spray paint lamp fittings to desired color, and allow it to dry.
2. Stack and arrange the old hardcover books. Place the lamp's threaded rod next to book stack and make sure there is one inch of clearance on the top for the remaining lamp assembly.
4. Open the base book. Using a razor blade or box cutter, cut a channel where the electrical cord will be placed. Make sure it matches the width and thickness of the cord.
5. Use the washer and lock nut from the lamp kit to attach the threaded rod to the base book. Close the book and tighten down the top lock nut.
6. Entering from the bottom, slide the electrical wire through the threaded rod. Leave 1-1/2 to two inches of electrical wire at the top of the threaded rod so you can attach the lamp parts. Drill 1-1/4-inch screws to secure the book to itself. Use four to six screws, making sure to avoid the electrical wire.
7. Clamp down and use the half-inch drill bit to drill a hole in the center of each book. Slide the books, one by one, through the threaded rod, drilling four 2-inch screws to secure each book to the book beneath it.
8. On the top book, open the cover, and secure it with four 2-inch screws.